Freelance Bilingual/Multilingual Interpreter – CanTalk Canada Inc
This is an entry-level position, which requires excellent comprehension and speaking skills in English & other language(s). *Preferred but not compulsory: 2-4 years of experience.
The Telephone Interpreter is responsible for handling calls on demand, understand and render meaning of conversations between speakers of other language(s) and English. The Interpreter needs to be able to process information quickly and concisely, recognizes sensitive cultural differences, and is professional and courteous at all times. The calls may involve simple or complex, non-technical or technical subjects in the following fields: Healthcare , Government , Insurance , Law Enforcement , General Business and more.
We are seeking interpreters/speakers who speak English and any of the following languages :
Karen, Somali, Afrikaans, Akan, Assyrian, Bahasa, Cebuano, Chipewyan, Cree, Danish, Dene, Dinka, Finnish, Icelandic, Ilocano, Ilomggo, Lithuanian, Luganda, Norwegian, Nuer, Nyanja, Inuktitut, OjiCree, Pashto, Saulteaux, Slovenian, Swedish, Telugu, Uzbek, Wolof, Yiddish, Hmong, Hungarian, Romanian, Tibetan, Mien, Hebrew, Dutch, Kirundi, Yoruba, Slovakian, Oromo, Albanian, Low German, Khmer, Greek, Lao, Lingala, Marshallese, Georgian, Bulgarian, Tigrinya, Latvian, Igbo, Fukianese, Malay, Czech, Pushto, Taiwanese, Chaldean, Mixtec, Gujarati, Dari, Twi, Mandinka, Serbian, Shanghainese, Amharic, Tigre, Anishinaabe, Bajan, Bangla, Bikol, Visayan, Borana, Iban, Jabo, Kapampangan, Lebanese, Parshan, Scottish, Secwepemc, Sesotho, Sicilian, Sioux, Surigaonon, Takua, Welsh, Xhosa, Yazidi, Kissi, Hokkien, Herero, Soninke, Malagasy, Kurdish, Macedonian, Malayalam, Mongolian, Ojibway and more
Location of work:
Canada based only. Work away from the office. Telephone Interpreter works from his/her home, own office or more. It is essential to ensure a quiet & secure environment. Note pads and writing utensils, glossaries, and dictionaries are useful tools.
• Competitive rates
• Huge flexibility with no schedule requirement
• Ongoing training and competency opportunities
• Being part of elite interpreter database from a Canadian company
• Opportunity to assist newcomers and non-English speakers communicate in their native languages, in a variety of fields
• Opportunity to break language barriers in a diverse community and help your own fellow countrymen communicate with English speaking businesses
• Opportunity to participate and experience telephone interpretation
Major Responsibilities and Principal Accountabilities:
• Renders correct concepts and meanings between other language(s) and English following complexity, clarity, and style from one language into another, upholding the correct rules for grammar and syntax in both languages
• Good customer service, communication skills, clear enunciation, pronunciation, pleasant and professional voice as well as polite forms of expressions
• Understands protocol and terminology in the following industry such as Medical, Insurance, Finance and Law
• Is able to remain calm during stress related calls and remain consistently professional when interpreting client calls, which includes 911 emergency calls.
• Native Fluency in other language(s) and English
• Advanced skills in the cultural dynamics (cultural implication and idiomatic expression) of both other language(s) and English
• Excellent listening, retention and note taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy
• Knowledge of industry-specific terminology; on-going study of glossaries and training materials including scripts provided by our clients
• Ability to concentrate, stay detached from the conversation, and remain neutral and objective at all times
• Ability to follow client's instructions closely
• Ability to explain certain cultural concepts to avoid miscommunication with the permission or at request of the client
• Education in languages/ interpretation or related fields preferred, but not required