ManpowerGroup Public Sector, an Experis affiliate, provides a full range of translation, transcription and interpreting services in 150 languages. We are located in Falls Church, VA, and serve both government and commercial clients. We are seeking experienced translators and linguists able to translate from/into the following languages:
Full-time or part-time assignment approximately 2 October 2017 - 23 March 2018 with a possible extension.
College Park, MD
One native Somali linguist and one native Swahili linguist are needed to help evaluate a cross-language information retrieval system. The system to be evaluated takes English search terms and finds documents in foreign languages that apply. To evaluate the system, the linguist must prepare an extensive test dataset. The linguist will do this by browsing multiple documents in Somali or Swahili and creating English search terms that apply to them. The linguist will then run their English search terms against entire document collections to identify other relevant documents, using their native language and a web-based interface that employs Lucene search technology.
- You MUST have superior command of the syntax and morphology of both English and Swahili or Somali.
- You MUST have superior reading and writing skills in both English and Swahili or Somali, professional translation experience a plus.
- You MUST be a US citizen. Clearance is not required.
- You MUST be available to work onsite in our client's office in College Park, MD during regular business hours.
- You MUST be able to quickly learn new web-based applications, technical aptitude highly desired.
- Experience in corpus linguistics or linguistic theory a plus
- Familiarity with Lucene query syntax a plus
- Knowledge of contemporary culture in the second language preferred
Please send us your resume and an email message that clearly states:
Language(s) in which you are fluent
Your citizenship status
Relevant linguistic experience
Your availability to work in College Park, MD, during regular business hours
In the subject line please state your name and language(s).
Please email your resume to: GOVLANGUAGE at EXPERIS dot COM