Choosing the best among the available translators, configuring machine translation by language pairs, (not) splitting sentences in Excel cells, and more. This is Cuba!
Note: The new release will be rolled out from 4 to 5 am GMT on Friday, August 26th. If you are reading this earlier, wait a bit more to feel the difference.
Smartcat‘s 53rd release (codename Cuba) incorporates improvements that will make working on the platform even more effective and enjoyable for both translators and project managers. Especially noteworthy is the new process of assigning contributors to a task. Bear with us to know more!
Choosing among available translators
This is a feature a lot of corporate users have been eagerly waiting for, and it’s finally here! Now, when hiring freelancers on the marketplace, you can additionally choose among those who have confirmed their availability for a project.
Here are the steps:
- You send an invitation to all translators whose profiles you find suitable.
- Several of them confirm their availability.
- You choose the most suitable among the available.
- You confirm the assignment and launch the project.
This leads to a number of improvements in the process:
- You can send initial invitations to many more translators. Detailed review can be postponed until when you know for sure who is available.
- A translator can’t start working without a green light from you. Thus, you can send out invitations even before final confirmation from the customer.
- You can review the profiles of available translators much more attentively. This will positively affect the final translation quality.
Note: The above steps do not apply to the “Rocket” mode. In this case, the project will still be assigned to the first available translator.
Previously, you could start working on a document right after accepting an invitation. Now this action just confirms your availability for it. After this, the customer/project manager will carefully review your profile. Work experience, specialization, education, translation examples — everything will matter. Those who will take care to properly complete their profiles will have much higher chance to be hired.
Besides, remember that your knowledge of the platform is one of the major factors for your selection. In Smartcat, this is represented by the number of words you have translated in the system. So don’t hesitate to use Smartcat for your own projects and study the platform’s features in the process.
By the way, we expect that the new system logic will significantly increase the number of invitations you will receive. The most responsive and professional translators will now have much more work to do!
Configuring machine translation by languages
Not all languages are equally suitable for machine translation. Besides, some engines work better than others for some language pairs. So now you can configure MT separately for each language pair in a multilingual project. And, finally, this can be done during project creation.
Disabling segmentation of Excel cells
Sometimes splitting Excel cells into segments by sentences makes it hard to understand which text belongs to which segment. That’s why we have included the option to disable such segmentation during project creation.
… and more
The rest of improvements in Cuba are:
- Segmentation rules aligned with Trados. We improved segmentation algorithms for several file formats. This applies in particular to INX files: Working with them will now not require processing them in Trados anymore. By using Smartcat as the single solution, you will reduce delivery times and the number of errors on the interface of the two platforms.
- Improved processing of incorrect SDLXLIFF files. For SDLXLIFF files that lack segmentation marks (<mrk> elements), Smartcat will add them automatically to the translated document.
- Added special French characters in the editor.
- Added support for .POT (.PO template) files.
- Ability to set a 60% TM match threshold.
- Added Armenian dialects and a couple more rare languages.
We hope you will enjoy the warmth and hospitality of our Cuba. Thanks to everyone who provided their feedback — do write more! And we’ll make sure to keep improving Smartcat to the best of your expectations and beyond. Next stop Argentina — stay tuned!
- Subscribe to our blog or follow us on LinkedIn and Facebook to stay updated of our newest features!
- Still not on Smartcat? Join now!
- Why Cuba? Be the first one to guess and get 100 pages of machine translation/OCR for free!
About the author
Hi, I’m Vladimir “Vova” Zakharov, the Head of Community at Smartcat. Translation is my profession and my passion, and I’m excited to be able to share it with the amazing Smartcat community! Questions? Suggestions? Our community forum is at your service!